If there's one thing you should know about me (besides my fondness for food and travel), it's that I love fiestas. And after 9 years of blogging, I've compiled a list of Top 10 Fiestas that every Filipino should experience to get a deeper appreciation of our own culture and traditions.
It wasn't an easy process since each festival has its own style and unique charm, but I wanted to come up with something to help kickstart your festival journey this 2014. So here's my definitive guide to the 10 Most Awesome Fiestas of the Philippines (based on our own first-hand festival experiences):
1. DINAGYANG, ILOILO
What is it? Dinagyang means "Merry Making" and its a celebration held in honor of the Santo Niño
Type of Festival: Religious, Cultural, and a Spectator-Type Festival
When is it Held: 4th Sunday of January (one week after Sinulog and Ati-Atihan)
- Ati-Atihan Dance Competition on Sunday (all day starting 9am), and
- Kasadyahan Street Dancing on Saturday (all day)
A lot of festival enthusiasts believe that Dinagyang is one of the BEST Festivals in the Philippines.
Although the celebration still has that quaint, provincial city-feel, the Ati-Atihan dance productions are among the best I've seen in street dance festivals in the Philippines. They are the Grand Champions in the Aliwan Festival (Manila-based competition for all the street dance festivals).
Dinagyang is the best time to go to Iloilo!
Read More: Iloilo's Dinagyang: Hala Bira! Viva Señor Santo Niño!
Festival Power Travel Tips:
- Make sure you have confirmed reservations preferably outside the main city for less noise.
- Secure your tickets to watch the performances from the grand stand
- The entire city is closed to vehicular traffic so make sure to walk around and explore the city.
For more info, visit Official Website: http://dinagyangsailoilo.com/