The Japanese trend in Manila is in full swing. We’re seeing various home-grown and franchised Japanese restaurants specializing in Ramen, Tonkatsu, Teppanyaki, Yakitori and Yakiniku setting up shop. Full-service Japanese restaurants in Manila are getting cooler with higher quality of food.
HARU Sushi Bar & Restaurant is the Japanese restaurant of Doc Efren “Boy” Vazquez of Cafe Juanita fame. They renovated the house beside the new Cafe Juanita (where Balay ni Juan used to be). Haru means “Spring”, a name chosen by Chef Tsutomu Yamazaki (formerly of Sugi).
We were invited to the formal opening of Haru, which was a private affair for Doc Vazquez’ family and personal friends. It was a historic moment for Doc because Cafe Juanita started out as a Japanese restaurant, then transformed into a Filipino resto, and now a Japanese resto sits beside it to complete the cycle.
Here’s a preview of our Haru Sushi Bar & Restaurant experience:
Kapitolyo Food Street Series:
- CAFE JUANITA – Eclectically Romantic
- The New Look of CAFE JUANITA in Pasig
- CHARLIE’s by Rob Goco, Hidden behind a Car Wash Station
- Insanely MAD MARK’s!
- NAV Modern Thai Cuisine Reunion
- POCO DELI: the Little Neighborhood Deli of Kapitolyo
- ELEVEN TABLES and Ace Water Spa
- HARU Sushi Bar & Restaurant: Japanese Restaurant Cafe Juanita Style!