by Kris Landrito
Madrid Fusion Manila is perhaps the most awaited gastronomic event in the Philippines. With the theme of “Towards a Sustainable Gastronomic Planet” that addresses the issue of food wastage, sustainability, and climate change, Heirloom Rice, the theme of Day One’s Regional Lunch was the perfect way to start it off.
Heirloom Rice is a variety of rice that has been passed on from generation to generation. Aside from being a rich source of flavor and nutrition, Heirloom Rice provides a sustainable and stable source of livelihood to farmers because of their strong resistance to climate change and environmental diseases.
Madrid Fusion 2017 Series:
• @MadridFusionManila 2017: A Gastronomical Roadmap to Sustainability! (Photo Essay Recap)
• 10 Most Awesome Heirloom Rice Creations! @MadridFusionManila (Day 1)
• 10 Most Awesome "Nose-to-Tail" Creations! @MadridFusionManila (Day 2)
• 5 Most Awesome Corn Creations! @MadridFusionManila (Day 3)
Here are our Top 10 favorites on Day 1 of Madrid Fusion Manila’s Regional Lunch curated by Angelo Comsti:
1. Tausug Junay with Utakutak by Myke Tatung Sarthou of Agos
This beautifully layered dish was the clear favorite of everyone in our team. With a base of gelatinous rice with burnt coconut and turmeric, topped with a spiced fish cake and a Tausug garnish called Palapa, we were pleasantly surprised with the beautiful and subtle flavors that paired well with the green mangoes, red onions, and tomatoes on top.