Rockwell UTT Winner #20:
HYPHY'S CALAMANSI TUYO SPAGHETTI
129 foodies rated 5- Awesome! I would recommend it!
131 foodies rated 4- I love it!
138 foodies rated 3- We had a good time.
65 foodies rated 2- It is OK.
11 foodies rated 1- Thanks, but it could be better.
Hyphy's, which serves "San Francisco – Philippine Cuisine", is Chef Bruce Lim's second restaurant. It actually got mixed reviews when it opened. (Read: Hyphy's SanFo-Philippine Cuisine by Chef Bruce Lim) For the Rockwell UTT, Hyphy's presented a simple but delicious pasta that had a combination of salty fish with kalamansi to balance it.
Congratulations to Hyphy's for making the cut in the Ultimate Taste Test!
About Hyphy's Restuarant
Hyphy’s Philippines by Chef Bruce Lim is a newly opened restaurant in Robinson’s Galleria Veranda Wing. (It) opened its doors to guests last February 21, 2011. It is the product of Chef Bruce’s inspiration from delicious San Francisco-inspired comfort food with a Filipino twist.
San Francisco slang for "Hyperactive" — HYPHY'S. A perfect word to describe the personality of our celebrity chef.
The Story of Chef Bruce Lim
Graduating from top notch culinary Le Cordon Bleu in London, Chef Bruce managed to work his way inside some of the world’s best French kitchens for more than 10 years. (He also trained) with world-class chefs and establishments in London, England and the United States. He even worked under the tutelage of the fire-breathing celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay. “It was tough, but, hey, I couldn’t learn these things from anybody else.”
It’s his learnings from the robust culinary experience and fearless rediscovery of his homeland’s cuisine that continue to feed him the inspiration to challenge the culinary status quo. In contrast to his refined culinary backbone, Chef Bruce learned more about the wonders of Filipino cuisine in the boondocks. He shares that his best teachers of Filipino cuisine are the nameless manongs and manangs he’s met through his travels with his Asian Food Channel TV show, Tablescapes.
“I am the anti-(celebrity) chef,” he candidly says. “I’m big AND fat.” But despite this, Chef Bruce evidently has a strong following from his local clientele, who were sometimes willing to wait for a month or two just to get a taste of his cooking.
About the product/Pricelist:
- nice mix of salty sour
- interesting and unique. like the balance of salty & tart = just right for me
- good balance of tart & salty
- slightly oily but good!
- strange, i love it!
- tuyo overpowering, like the idea but too much salt
- no calamansi taste
- interesting twist
- loved the taste. perfect mix of salty & sour
- not for a spaghetti better if w rice
- a bit nakasuya
- too tart fo my taste
- quite malansa for me
- taste is surprisingly fantastic!
- good combination, good balance
- good combo. very clean taste
- not a spicy pasta fan!!/too salty for me
- lovely flavors. i liked the touch of heat
- super good. love it!
- wow. really good!
- pasta too stiff more durum
- great flavor
- not a fan of tuyo
- i'm all for filipino cuisine!
- unique but flavorful
- nice balance of flavors. tangy & tasty
- can eat a bowlful in less than a minute
- interesting taste. very original!!
- a very ingenious dish
- something extraordinary
- looking forward to trying the resto's menu!
- spaghetti was cold and still had bones from tuyo
- pasta is cooked well but tuyo is too strong
- 🙂 /enjoyed this
- lovely pasta
- the pasta was tasty
- good blend :)
- too dry but if you want something exotic, this is a must try:)
- too dry, too cold
- needs more sardines
- nice combo
- i love the calamansi flavor/very good flavors. just a bit overwhelming
- unique pasta flavor
- too much oil
- bland. cold.
- don't like aftertaste of tuyo
- very original 🙂
- new taste! interesting!
- WOW SARAP!
- nice concept
- not so special
- strong calamansi flavor & also the tuyo doesn't taste like pasta anymore
- liked the combination of calamansi & tuyo
- i wish it was warm
- i don't eat tuyo but it didn't bother me in this dish
- very good
- the taste didn't come together
- tuyo flavor too strong for me. had tinapa pasta before, that's better.
- truly pinoy!
- very different pero parang pancit canton
- very delicious
- i loved it. organic taste/nice combo of filipino & italian cuisine
- nice flavor!
- unusual but delish!
- made me wish my tolerance for spice was not that low
- A BIT BLAND
- good even when cold
- original? :)
- AMAZING TASTE!
- clean taste
- it's very light & tasty
- flavor didn't blend much
- i love the taste
- thumbs up!
- i like it!
- it was ok
- perfect balance of sour, saltiness, spicy sweet, yummy!
- unbelievable combination!
- tuyo is a bit too strong for the noodles
- tuyo was wonderful but pasta and sauce were bland.
- very tasty
- the taste that lingers
- very basic
- not a tuyo fan
- one of a kind! now i'm a fan of tuyo
- too spicy for me
- i'm not a fan of tuyo.
- LOVE IT LOVE IT!
- loved that you used tuyo! very filipino!
- hope i could get some more
- calamansi was unique
- good but too spicy
- love it! the taste of tuyo
- it was a unique flavor that i want to try again
- very unique. better if it's hot
- i love!
- truly pinoy style!
- i don't like spicy
- YUM YUM YUM
- simple but tasty
- unique & good
- very unique/couldn't really taste the calamansi
- enjoyed the spice
- i love the spicy taste
- too much oil, super small hint of calamansi
- PASTA TOO COLD
- something new
- i love the pasta!
- spaghetti perfectly cooked. great flavor but a little too oily
- good spaghetti. a little greasy
- just the right saltiness
- good combination
- wow yummy!
- i really appreciate the tuyo when there's calamansi with it
- just right
- interesting name but only good for 1 serving
- unique taste :)
- it was okay! 🙂
- lacks flavor. only a little sauce
- well blended taste of tuyo & calamansi
- will order it
- noodle was like a rice substitute
- very good
- lacks punch
- poor man's pasta. awful combination
- i don't eat tuyo but i love this
- balanced taste
- right combination
- great balanced flavors
- just the right amount of anghang
- ok unique spaghetti
- i love the balance
- pasta is salty and undercooked
- 🙂 LOVE IT!!!
- great tuyo taste
- PINOY NA PINOY!
- didn't taste the calamansi
- i liked the dish
- unique pasta
- i like it, it's different
- very healthy and light pasta
- great, but a lil too sour for me
- hmmmmmm…. is it really tuyo????
- tuyo isn't my thing, but it's ok
- such a great and original taste
- pinoy pasta! 🙂
- yummy pero parang oily
- more calamansi please!
- good combination of salty & spicy
- awesome concept!
- unique tasting
- pasta with lemon-y twist
- simple yet perfect!
- Pinoy pride! The best!
- the calamansi &tuyo compliment each other
- ALAT! pero sarap
Hyphy's by Chef Bruce Lim
The Veranda, Robinsons Galleria, Quezon City
Telephone: +632 477-7611
Related OAP Blog Post: Hyphy's SanFo-Philippine Cuisine by Chef Bruce Lim
Live an Awesome Life,
- a Rockwell UTT Winner Certificate;
- a winner feature in Our Awesome Planet; and
- a guaranteed spot in any of the Mercato Centrale markets. 🙂
P.P.S. The next Ultimate Taste Test event will be held on November 17, 7pm in Mercato Centrale.
Related OAP Blog Posts:
OAP | The Ultimate Food Trip happens in Rockwell on September 3
OAP | The Foodies' Guide to Rockwell's Ultimate Taste Test
OAP | My Cheers Moments @ Rockwell's Ultimate Taste Test
Thanks to our sponsors for the Rockwell Ultimate Taste Test Event!
Rockwell Ultimate Taste Test is Co-Presented by:
Photo and Video Sponsor: