We are so blessed that Lola Atis celebrated her 100th birthday last weekend. I decided to travel to my hometown Capiz to seek the secret to living 100 years old and to finally find my Bisayan roots. I’ve never appreciated our family’s heritage until I visited Roxas City for the first time (after 34 years) and our Bukid in Sinabsaban, Cuardero in Capiz. Now, I can truly say that I’m a Bisaya and proud of our family’s heritage.
Would you like to know the secret to living 100 years old (and maybe longer)? But first let me tell you a story about our family…
Our Lola can still walk without any aid and can remember the birthdays of all her sons and daughters. She gave birth to a total of 10 children and outlived 2 of her daughters.
The entire Diaz-Fuentes Clan is now 272 with 65 Apo, 150 Apo sa Tuhod, and 47 Apo sa Talampakan.
I marveled at how big our clan is and even got to meet most of my first cousins. Check out the family photos of the entire clan (from panganay to bunso):
1. Angeles “Elis” Diaz (deceased) & Anacleto “Ito” Espinosa, Sr. (deceased) Family – Total of 52 Family Members
2. Gerardo “Raldo” Diaz and Innocencia “Ising” Ebuna Family – Total of 50 Family Members
3. Prospero “Pero” Diaz and Milagros “Lagring” Frantilanan Family – Total of 21 Family Members
4. Christita “Titang” Diaz and Apolinario “Poning” Francisco Family – Total of 89 Family Members (The Biggest Family)
5. Diosdada “Edith” Diaz and Maximino “Junior” Bermudo Family – Total of 34 Family Members
6. Angela “Lilang” Diaz and Teodolfo “Dolfo” Ebuna Family – Total of 36 Family Members
7. Our Awesome Family! Luzvimin “Vimin” Diaz and Emerita “Emy” Soria Family – Total of 10 Family Members
8. Amparo “Paring” Diaz (deceased) and Mariano “Dikyam” Roxas (deceased) Family – Total of 22
9. Solomon “Mon” Diaz and Leticia “Letty” Alegano Family – Total of 39 Family Members
10. Alexander “Alex” Diaz and Carmen “Carmen” Bechayda Family – Total of 7 Family Members (The Bunso and smallest family in the clan)
My Dad gave the finale speech on behalf of the family because he is one of the most respected members of the Diaz-Fuentes clan. His full name is Luzvimin, which stands for Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. So that would me make the son of the 3 biggest island groups in the Philippines. 🙂 I guess I’m really destined to promote our country.
The Diaz-Fuentes Clan had a family meeting for the first time. We decided to have an annual reunion and I was voted as the first Vice President in charge of coordinating with family members outside of our Capiz hometown. I welcome the appointment because I want to know our family on a deeper level.
After the celebration was over, I had a chat with my Lola about her secret to living 100 years old. I also interviewed our family with regard to the activities of Lola, particularly her diet. Check it out:
Top 7 Tips to Living an Awesome Life for 100+ Years according to my Lola Atis
7. Eat Vegetables that Crawl for Long Life. This would include tacway, alugbati, kalabasa, kamote, latoy, upo, ampalaya.
6. Eat lots of Banana. Lola always eats banana together with rice sometimes. It’s her favorite fruit.
5. Drink Lots of Water Only. Lola does not drink any softdrinks. She would sometimes drink Vino Kulafu, which is similar to the wine drank by priests. (Thanks, Angelo, for the right spelling. 🙂 )
4. Be a Pescetarian. Eat Fruits, Vegetables and Fish only. Lola does not eat any meat (Pork, Beef or Chicken) by choice. I thought before that you need to be a Vegetarian to live longer.
3. Eating Desserts is OK occasionally. Lola would eat ice candy sometimes in small quantities. This is good to know.
2. Exercise Every Morning. Lola would make it a point to do bending exercises and walking in the bukid to plant seeds. She loves gardening.
1. Most Importantly, Don’t forget to Pray and Thank God Everyday. My lola’s #1 secret in reaching 100 years old is that she does not forget about God. She always prays and thanks Him for all His blessings everyday.
Anton worked for the biggest multinational company in the Philippines
for 12+ years, straight out of college, before finally quitting his day job to become a full-time Online Media Entrepreneur.
OurAwesomePlanet.com, which he started in 2005, is the number #1
food and travel media in the Philippines which aims to promote the “Food and Travel Secrets in the Philippines” and to
inspire Filipinos that living in the Philippines is truly awesome!
Anton Diaz received the first Tourism Star Award for media by
the Department of Tourism for his valuable contribution in promoting
Philippine cuisine and destinations through his blog Our Awesome
Planet thereby encouraging tourists to visit and taste the best in what the Philippines has to offer.
Our Awesome Planet is recognized as one of the Top 50 Travel Blogs in
Looking for a new place to eat?
Or a guide for your next destination?
Our travel tips and restaurant reviews delivered straight to your inbox. Join our mailing list to receive the latest food reviews and travel guides from Team Our Awesome Planet.