Spelling Bee is a musical play revolving around the Putnam County Spelling Bee Eliminations before the winner goes into the National Spelling Bee Finals. The entire 1 hour 45 minute show (with no-intermission) tells the behind-the-scene stories around the intense spelling bee competition. It also shares the tele-nobela family story of the six young competitors via flash backs.
The star studded hilarious cast is composed mostly of Avenue Q veterans which includes:
- Carla Guevara-Laforteza as Kate Monster/Lucy the Slut in Avenue, now playing as Olive Ostrovsky,
- Felix Rivera as Princeton/Rod in Avenue Q, now playing as Chip Tolentino,
- Joel Trinidad as Nicky / Trekkie Monster in Avenue Q, now playing as Vice Principal Douglas Panch,
- Thea Tadiar-Everley as Bad Idea Bears in Avenue Q, now playing as Marcy Park and
- Rycharde Everley as Brian in Avenue Q, now playing as William Barfee.
What makes it a must watch, never to be missed show?
1. The entire show is funny because of the witty lines and facial reactions instead of slapstick comedy. Most people laugh at “the use in the sentence” replies of Joel Trinidad.
2. The two surprise celebrity guests and two spelling bee contestants make every show hilariously different.
3. You’ll probably build your vocabulary by just listening to the difficult words and their meaning. You’ll also probably learn different spelling strategies from the contestants.
It is the type of musical show that you only watch once, because:
1. There are no popular songs or no memorable taglines from the show. You’ll remember the laughs but not the stories or lessons.
2. There is a scene where it came across as blasphemy of Jesus Christ and it was done in bad taste.
Overall, all musical play lovers need to see this unique hilarious show.
Live an Awesome Life,