GREEN HAT SEO Practices
in support of the Blog Action Day
It is NOT about the money, it is about following GREEN SEO best practices to protect the internet environment. I firmly believe that protecting the environment begins with the mindset and values of each person. Bloggers, in particular, should start with themselves and follow these GREEN SEO best practices suggestion:
1. Don’t Pollute the Internet with crappy and spamy sites. Why create an adsense site that does not contribute and make a difference in the internet? Instead create websites that would live forever and people will remember you even after you die. Start an advocacy campaign on things that you are passionate about.
2. Follow the Google Terms of Service. I’ve been slapped once by Google for still unknown reasons and I was put on the secondary index. It could be that I violated Google’s TOS and since I’m back in the SERPS, I learned not to ever violate it in whatever form.
3. Don’t sell the soul of your blog for a link to spammy sites. Would you link to a crappy site for $100? Most of us would but if you can resist that temptation, it is a good way to reinforce your self discipline. Don’t link or support ads from porn related sites.
4. Buy only licensed product and Don’t violate Copyright. Do you download pirated software or pirated music on the net? Or maybe, you set up a lyrics site that violate copyright? Do you download all rights reserved photos and use it on your own? Do you plagiarize? It starts with you and resist that temptation to violate the natural laws of what ever you believe in.
5. Don’t comment just to put a link to your blog. Why spam the comments section just to put a link back to your site? To increase your technorati ranking on your own? If you need to link, link to the permalink of a blog post. Or those people who spam the forums creating two login accounts and create a fight between the two login accounts just to create a link to your blog? Let nature takes it course. If you have good content, links will follow.
6. Be honest about your identity. Be a man and don’t put anonymous identity in the comments section. If you have a point of view put a valid email address and not just a generic email like [email protected], etc.
7. Support worthy causes like Blog Action Day. Evil only wins if the good people don’t act. Support advocacy like Blog Action Day, Filipina writing project, Sports for a cause activities, etc.
8. Donate your adsense earnings to organization that protect the environment. It is NOT all about the money. You have to give back to the environment in your own way. Believe me it will return to you a hundred fold.
9. Don’t go to porn sites. Trekkie Monster once said that the Internet is for Porn and a lot of guys would laugh. You’ll just be populating your browser cache with such junk if you patronize these porn sites. This is the ultimate self-discipline test for any bloggers out there.
10. Teach your children about Green Hat SEO practices. Everything starts when you are young. By about 3+, I’m sure Aidan would start blogging and I’ll start to teach him the right way to do it. He knows texting and blogging words already and he would often tell us No Text or No Blog when he wants to play with us and even close our laptop and get our cellphones.
Any other suggestions?