POP CAFE is the first Liquid Nitrogen-charged Popcorn Cafe in the Philippines by Kettle Korn--originally created by RFM's Joey Concepcion--and is the latest craze in enjoying this popular snack.
This is the first time I've seen liquid nitrogen used in popcorn. The nitrogen not only provides a cooling effect but also gives a smoky fun factor that even kids can enjoy. The popcorn kernels are made from whole grains and popped fresh in-store too, making for a healthy treat.
We recently tried all the flavors and offerings of Pop Cafe. Here's what to expect and what we recommend...
Pop Cafe's pilot store opened on the 2nd floor of SM Fairview Annex. Hopefully they open soon in an SM Mall near you.
The offerings are a bit confusing at the start, because everything just looks like popcorn lollipops with different flavor combinations.
What makes this fun is the use of liquid nitrogen for the cooling and smoking effect, which the kids love. You can also ask for a liquid nitro refill.
Poprocks (P120 - dine in only)
The Poprocks come in 4 flavors: Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Green Tea, and Espresso. They are served with a cup of liquid nitrogen.
You can bite it with your teeth, but be sure not to touch it with your tongue right after you dip.
The Popstix are big popcorn lollipops that come in 5 flavors: Smores, Oreo, Elvis, Green Mango, and Caramel Green Apple.
Our favorite is the Green Mango while the kids liked the Smores and Oreo.
The popstix are also dipped in liquid nitrogen individually before being served.
The kids had plenty of fun with the smoking effect. Eating this feels like eating cold crunchy popcorn.
Nitro Glaze (P50)
The popcorn is glazed with liquid nitrogen and you can enjoy it piece by piece.
My personal favorites are the chocolate and espresso flavors.
Congrats to Pop Cafe for a very cool popcorn cafe concept!
What we like:
- It's a healthy dessert--whole grain corn, popped fresh, and light
- Cool and smoky effect of the liquid nitrogen that kids enjoy
- The service is very helpful
What we don't like:
- The popcorn offerings are confusing at the start; they need to fix how they communicate the different variants
- The pilot store is in SM Farview; yes, ang layo...
What we suggest:
- Include liquid nitrogen ice cream like how Outre does it so that you can have popcorn nitro a la mode
- Create popcorn art that you can eat, like how latte art is for coffee
- Add toppings and sauce options, which can jazz up your popcorn before dipping in the liquid nitro
Live an Awesome Life,
Disclosure: Our meal was courtesy of Pop Cafe. I wrote this article with my biases, opinions, and insights.
P.S. They also offer Drip Coffee with beans from Atok Benquet for P80.