It's definitely howling but got mixed reviews when we visited during the soft opening. The concept is really cool but the execution is not quite there yet, and we felt it was premature to open before the ghost month.
Here are the things we liked and got disappointed with at Hungry Hound...
We love the modern wooden interiors with quality leather seats, high ceiling, and natural lighting.
MENU: Hungry Hound Soft Opening Menu | Starters, Entree, Cold Beverages, Hot Beverages | Imported Beers, Domestic Beers, Scotch/Whisky, Vodka, Tequila, Gin, Rum, Cognac | Imported Draft Beer | Cocktails, Red Wine, White Wine, Sparkling Wine, Liqueur
The menu is promising, especially with Chef Gilbert Gomez (who worked for Daniel Boulud’s DB Bistro Moderne in New York) and Chef Jerome Opriano (of The Goose Station) in the kitchen.
It's like a mini fried oyster burger - this is one of the must-try items on the menu. Due to its popularity, they came up with a bigger version called The ArchAngel.
This is a good order to have on a rainy day. However, the serving size is small and the value you get is not commensurate with its price.
Imagine fries cooked in duck fat with parmesan and garlic flavoring. It's malinamnam, which is why this is now the iconic bar chow of Hungry Hound.
It's so good that it gives you a headache if you eat too much. Eat in moderation.
The salad is good and you can order dressing on the side to not ruin the taste of the vegetables.
Good high-end corn dog concept but poorly executed. Even my boys did not want to eat it.
We love to go to Gastro pubs for the yummy selection of food and draft beer! Manila's beer scene has never been the same with the introduction of high-quality draft beers. :)
The Smoked Bacon by Chef Jeremy is really good (known as Mr. Delicious, Chef Jeremy is a French-trained American expat chef and sommelier). It has a good smoked flavor, and a chewy mix of fat and meat.
You can order the bacon in silog style, or you can add it to any other order. A must try!
This provided good value with 2 big slices of chicken breast good for sharing. The inside was a bit dry though, and you have to dip it in the deep flavored chorizo mushroom gravy to appreciate.
The Salmon was a good, healthy choice but we felt that the combination was poorly executed.
This was disappointing. Both the meat balls and the sauce tasted bland. I guess we ordered on an off day for the kitchen.
The dessert selection is just OK. It's quite hard to find a gastro pub with good desserts anyway.
(TRIVIA: This is officially the second restaurant of Chef Rob after The Goose Station, and the first one by Erwan Heussaff :))
Overall, we liked the Angel Sliders, Duck Fat Fries, Smoked Bacon and the Draft Beers :). It's a good after-office hangout and is sure to be filled with Globe Employees once they move into the building.
We were disappointed with the main dishes. We felt that the kitchen was not prepared and the restaurant prematurely opened just before the ghost month. This situation is a double-edged sword in that we've seen restaurants improve their execution after a few months, but we've also seen some that don't recover from the soft opening impressions.
Budget P800 per head for food and drinks. Best to try it after a few months.
The Hungry Hound Pub & Kitchen
Ground Floor, Globe Telecom Tower, 32nd Street corner 7th Avenue, Bonifacio Global City
(beside F1 across MC Home Depot)
Mobile: +63 916 696-4385
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am-11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am-12:00mn
- IN BETWEEN DEADLINES by Cheryl Tiu | The Hungry Hound is now howling
- MARKET MANILA | The Hungry Hound Pub & Kitchen – Sneak Peek!
What's New in BGC Restaurants in 2013?
- VASK: Traditional Basque Cuisine and Modern Gastronomy @VaskManila
- EARLY BIRD Breakfast Club: Start of the All-Day Breakfast Era in Manila?
- IHOP Philippines: Manila Goes Crazy Over IHOP? @IHOP_PH
- GYU-KAKU Philippines: World's No.1 Yakiniku Japanese BBQ Brand now in Manila :)
- MAD FOR GARLIC Philippines: Italian Korean Wine Resto (and Garlic Breath)
- MESCLUN BISTRO by Chef Katrina Kuhn-Alcantara in Serendra
- SABOTEN Philippines: The Original Tonkatsu Flavor Now in Manila!
- URBN BAR & KITCHEN: The Secret Yummy Food of URBN
- BRASSERIE GIROLLE by Chef Ian Padilla
- K-PUB BBQ: Meat All You Can at K-Pop-Themed Resto :)
- MAGOSABURO: Mago Kaiseki & Japanese Wagyu Steak on Lava Stone with Wine Pairings!
- MODERN SICHUAN: A Taste of Sichuan Cuisine and Modern Chinese Food
- HUNGRY HOUND: Duck Fat Fries, Mr. Delicious' Bacon and First Impressions...
Live an Awesome Life,
P.S. I'm actually excited for niner-ichi-nana (cocktail bar 917) beside Hungry Hound. It promises craft cocktails and artisan bartending.