Ugu Bigyan's Kulawo (Banana Heart)! -- The Best seller in the house! This is just with charcoal to bring out the smokey flavor and cooked in vinegar and spices. I swear, it taste like tuna meat!! ( email me for the recipe )
Quezon Culinary Series 10: Ugu Bigyan's Secret Pottery Garden
[Viaje del Sol Series.7] Ugu Bigyan's Pottery Garden Postcards
[Viaje del Sol Series.6] Sumptuous Lunch @ Ugu Bigyan!
Viaje del Sol Review
After blogging this last Sept 2005, Ugu Bigyan continues to be one of the secret places in the Philippines. You cannot find this in the lonely planet and in fact, even the people who lives within the area was surprised that such beautiful garden place exist. I've been raving about it for years now, and if you have not eaten here, you should plan a viaje del sol trip this coming summer.
Here are some tips on making your Ugu Bigyan trip a memorable experience:
1. You need to reserve one day in advance for lunch (minimum of 5) or merienda. They are strict that you pay for the exact amount of headcount that you reserved since they buy the ingredients in the market based on the reservation.
2. The Best time to buy pottery items in Ugu are during the sale season. There are three sale sessions: first, is the pahiyas sale on May 15 (this would be too crowded); second, on his even birthdays August 14 discounted depending on his age (42% this year); and lastly during the first Sunday of October.
3. Lunch is now @ P400/ head. It is usually a fix set depends on what they can buy in the market. You can influence this a bit and try to change some of the items based on your preference.
4. Merienda is also a nice time to go here and get a taste of their Sago and Gulaman!!
5. You can learn pottery here and decide to stay for a night. I suggest you inquire when the classes are and schedule your visit during that time.
They make it look easy to create a perfect jar!
Check out the rest of the Ugu Bigyan meal...
I'm happy that Ugu Bigyan is one of the greatest secret in the south. It's unassuming facade cloaks the entire pottery garden from outsiders.
Pako salad. This is a true filipino dish without any fusion.
One of the best Calamares we ever tasted! It is cooked perfectly and with the right bite.
You cannot go wrong with these huge shrimps!
Ugu Bigyan Potter's Garden
Viaje del Sol Brochure: For potter Ugu Bigan, home has always been in Tiaong, Quezon. His artist's workshop is a cluster of quaint huts, connected by brick paths, and surrounded by a lush garden. Ugu's works are on display and are for sale. Lunch is served at his garden. Meals are served on beautiful ceramic plates and bowls.
Directions: From Manila, head towards the end of South Express Way and take the second to the last exit going to Batangas. Take the road going to bicol heading towards Tiaong, Quezon. This is about 90-120 minutes drive. After San Pablo, Laguna, you will arrive in Tiaong, Quezon. Drive past the Tiaong public market and watch for the Tiaong Elementary School. Five minutes from the school, watch for a sign pointing to Lusacan National high school, to your left. Turn left on the road near the sign. Follow the road and turn left on Alvarez Village. The house is the red clay house to your left.
Reservations for lunch must be made with a minimum of 5 persons
Ugu Bigyan: Potter's Garden
490 Alvarez Village , Brgy Lusacan, Tiaong, Quezon
Call + 63 (42) 545-9144